Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Introducing...

I have decided to start this blog as a way to share my story, as well as provide hope/inspiration for anyone whose life has been effected by a congenital heart defect. Below is my story in a nutshell (also posted in the Mended Little Hearts National blog). Enjoy! :)

My name is Nicole Sanchez  and I was born on January 4th, 1983 with tricuspid atresia. With TA also comes normally related great arteries with a small ventricular septal defect and rudimentary right ventricle. Basically this means that I was born without a tricuspid valve, and because the valve did not form, neither did my right ventrical. I had two closed-heart surgeries as a baby including a BT shunt placement. In November of 1988, I had open-heart surgery, a Fontan procedure.
 
Since my Fontan, I have been fortunate enough to not need any more surgeries. I do see a cardiologist every year for an EKG and Echo, and there’s the occasional heart monitor or stress test, but so far, so good…Not to say there haven’t been a couple of tiny bumps in the road, but at the end of the day I have led a relatively normal life. I grew up with two brothers (one older, one younger- both heart healthy), went to public school, had a job since I was 14, traveled with friends and studied abroad during college, and have even walked in a half marathon through the streets of San Francisco.  My mother once told me that when I was a baby in the hospital, she would tell me “one day we will be dancing at your wedding”; In August of 2008 her promise was fulfilled as I married my husband Jose. Having children was always a question mark, but in December of 2010 I gave birth to a beautiful, healthy baby boy (and hope to have at least one more!).


Mended Little Hearts came into my life this past March when I received an email from Andrea Himmelberger telling me a group was starting up in the Bay Area. I have always wanted to give back to the CHD community, to give hope to parents of children going through the same things I have. I am so grateful to MLH for giving me this opportunity. Although I am just 29, I feel like my CHD journey has already come full circle. I’ve survived, I’ve thrived, and now I am ready to share my experiences with all of you.  I have already met so many wonderful people, and am so excited for what the future holds for me, the Silicon Valley group, and for Mended Little Hearts everywhere.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nicole,
    Thanks for sharing your experience living with CHD. Your story is inspiring and encouraging me to be hopeful. I have a 1 year old daughter with CHD. she was prenataly diagnosed with VSD with PA. She has had one open heart surgery when she was a week old. She will need a few more as she grows older.
    We were not sure what to expect and how her life would be impacted when living with CHD. reading your blog is giving us hope. Please continue to share your experiences.

    ReplyDelete