Sunday, May 26, 2013

School Days

My experience with school was very average/normal. I went to public schools and for the most part didn't need or get any special treatment. The one time my parents really said "No" to a major school activity was the 5-day camping trip that everyone went on when I was in fifth grade. I guess my mom felt like I was too young to be gone so long. At the time I was pretty bummed, but looking back I completely understand and if I were in her shoes I probably wouldn't want me to go either! 

One class that did always pose an issue was Physical Education (P.E.). My mom always sent me out with a note on the first day of school every year, that I was to give to my P.E. teacher, stating that I have a heart condition and am to go at my own pace and should be exempt from any running or cardio activities. Most of the time I would make sure the teacher followed these instructions. However I will admit that sometimes it was easier to just go with the flow and the rest of the class, and just do the running anyways (even though I would no doubt walk most of the way and be the last one to finish). For the most part, I was always able to participate in whatever sport we were doing for the day, just as long as I took things at my own pace and made sure to take breaks when needed. 

When it came to actual sports, I have never been very "sporty". I was always active and played with my brothers and neighborhood kids, but never got into playing competitively. One time in high school I did talk with my doctor about joining the soccer team, but was advised against it due to the fact that the entire game is be very cardio-heavy. 

I did participate quite a few other extra-curricular activities. All through middle school and high school I was in choir. I never missed a performance or concert, and even had a couple of solos over the years! In my high school the Concert Choir goes on tour every year - My junior year we went to Atlanta, Georgia (I live in the SF Bay Area, CA), and my senior year we went to So Cal/Disneyland on a "mini tour" and then traveled to the British Isles (Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England) for our official tour! This was a 16 day trip that would be with about 50 other students, our choir director and some parent chaperones. When my mom heard about this trip she simply said "You're going". This would be the longest I would be away from my parents, and the farthest I had traveled thus far. I knew she was scared for me to be so far away, but I was 18 at that point, had been doing well, and it was just too good of an opportunity to pass up. My choir director was advised of my condition and given all the necessary info. The trip was amazing. The one issue I encountered was on the bus driving through mountains in Ireland. I became light-headed and had to put my head down and feet up for a while (because of the high altitude). Other than that, I was golden. I would return to Europe about a year and a half later to spend a semester abroad in London - but that is just too long/good of a story not to get it's own post! ;)

As far as the other kids go, my CHD was never an issue. I didn't really advertise it, but my close friends always knew all about my heart condition. I never tried to hide my scar, and if someone asked me about it, I would simply tell them "I had heart surgery when I was younger" and answer any questions they had about it. It's not that I felt like I had something to hide or didn't want to talk about it, more that it just wasn't a huge deal. When I look back on my school career I think about all the fun times I had, all the activities I got to participate in, the lifelong friends I made and the normalcy of it all.
  
                     Class of 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment